The criminal defense attorneys of Phillips & Associates in Oklahoma City are experts at fighting sex crime charges. Circumstances surrounding sex crime charges often lead to false accusations.
These allegations do not always reflect the facts of the situation.
Speak for Themselves
Sex Crime Defense Attorneys
If you or a loved one are facing sex-related charges it is crucial that you contact an experienced attorney immediately. We can help ensure your side of the story is told accurately. At Phillips & Associates we have a record of success fighting the following charges:
- Computer/Internet Related
- Child Pornography Charges
- Charges of Soliciting Minors Online
- Child Molestation or Child Sexual Abuse
- Lewd or Indecent Acts with a Minor
- Lewd or Indecent Proposals to a Minor
- First Degree Rape and Rape by Instrumentation
- Date Rape and Spousal Rape
- Statutory Rape & Age of Consent
- Sodomy and Forcible Sodomy
- Indecent Exposure
- Prostitution and Solicitation of Prostitution
- Sexual Battery & Sexual Assault
- Juvenile Sex Offenses
- Federal Sex Offenses
Sexual assaults can and do occur in the above situations. Prosecutors and victims' rights advocates work quickly to bring charges against the accused and to push for maximum sentencing in the interest of "public welfare."
In situations where a crime actually occurred, it is important that the charges do not exceed the offense. Even a seemingly consensual act of sex can be a crime if the "victim" is below the age of legal consent in Oklahoma (16). Even if a victim is aged 16 or older, there are specific situations in which he or she cannot legally consent to sex.
Read More: Oklahoma Age of Consent Laws
Other sex-related crimes are more sinister. Penalties can include life in prison. Crimes against children and violent or forcible rape are crimes which are subject to the most vigorous prosecution and harshest penalties. If you have been charged with first degree rape, lewd acts with a minor, or other serious crimes, you have likely been painted as a monster by your accuser, police, and prosecutors. At Phillips & Associates, we offer wise legal counsel to make the best of a difficult situation.
Sex Crime Defense Strategies
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to sex crime defense. Several strategies often provide successful results. To protect your reputation you should IMMEDIATELY talk with an Oklahoma City sex crime lawyer.
At Phillips & Associates, we have a record of successful outcomes in challenging sex crime cases. We utilize the following defense strategies to secure favorable results for our clients:
- Demonstrating consent of the "victim" (learn more here)
- Highlighting a lack of evidence to support the charge
- Presenting factual evidence of the defendant's innocence
- Proving mistaken identity
- Providing reasonable doubt of accurate identification of a suspect
- Polygraph testing
- DNA testing
- Evaluation by forensic psychiatrists or psychologists
- Challenging the credibility of accusers or witnesses
- Suppressing illegally obtained or irrelevant evidence
- Showing that the accuser's testimony may have been tainted by leading questions or inappropriate interview techniques
- Demonstrating motive for a false accusation, including child custody disputes, financial motivation, revenge, or regret or shame after consensual sex
Sex Crimes Charges
In Oklahoma, a person may be accused of a sex crime even if he or she never touches another person. The attempt to solicit sex or the exchange of graphic pictures can be enough to put a person in prison and land him or her on the Oklahoma Sex Offender Registry for life.
At Phillips & Associates, we handle every degree of state and federal sex offenses, and we have a strong record of successful outcomes in these types of cases. Our dismissals and acquittals have helped in making us one of the top criminal defense law firms in Oklahoma City.
For many people the greatest consequence of conviction is the social stigma that surrounds the offense. Accusation and conviction of a sex crime can devastate marriages, obliterate families, destroy personal relationships, and ruin careers. For those who are required to register as sex offenders, the punishment remains public, and it extends far beyond the completion of any jail or prison term.
Sex offender registration is not merely a state-level requirement for those convicted of sex crimes. It is a federal mandate under the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006. This act is intended "To protect children from sexual exploitation and violent crime, to prevent child abuse and child pornography, to promote Internet safety, and to honor the memory of Adam Walsh and other child crime victims." Title I of the act is the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act, which outlines requirements for sex offender registration and delineates penalties for failure to comply.
Sex Offender Registration and notification is provided to the general public through the following links:
- The FBI Sex Offender Registry
- The U.S. Department of Justice National Sex Offender Public Website -
- The Oklahoma Sex Offender Registry
- You can also read sex crime related news here.
Sources of False Sex Crime Accusations
Here are some common sources of false sex crime accusations:
- vindictive ex-partners
- someone whose romantic overtures were rebuffed
- a consensual encounter that one party now regrets
- spouses or ex-spouses looking to gain an advantage in a custody dispute
- stepchildren who are trying to get rid of a parent's new spouse
- students who are angry with their teachers
- a child in DHS custody who fabricate tales of abuse at the hands of case workers or guardians
- inmates who allege sexual abuse by police, jailers, or other Department of Corrections workers
Sex Offender Representation in Oklahoma
Whether you are a sex offender or have been charged in a sex crime, turn to Phillips & Associates for their professionalism and success. We handle every case with discretion, and we treat every client with respect. We are dedicated to protecting the rights and liberties of criminal defendants in Oklahoma, and we are committed to providing the highest quality legal services and defense representation.
Your life is in upheaval. You don't know where to turn. You know that any small mistake can jeopardize your case. Do not try to handle this situation alone. You need an experienced defense attorney with a record of success in sex crime cases. Call today for no-risk, confidential evaluation of your case with an experienced criminal defense attorney.